Monday, February 21, 2011

Number 16.



WKD Apple Cider

British; 4.5% Alcohol Content.

$2.75, 4 for $10.99 (AUD); CBD IGA Plus Liquor (Perth City, WA)

Do you remember the hard candy called Jolly Ranchers? Maybe they are still in production, who knows; ANYway, I generally enjoyed their flavors, from orange to lemon to watermelon or strawberry, they were all great. All of them except sour apple. Maybe "sour apple" is an acquired taste, but I have always hated anything with said flavor and yet here I sit at the ripe old age of 24 drinking what is effectively a sour apple cider. Not that I should be surprised; WKD produces a line of alco-pops (sweet fizzy drinks with some alcohol in them designed to get 19 year old girls drunk very quickly because, "it, like, tasted so good; I didn't even know it had alcohol in it!?") Interestingly my wife (who is not 19) provides the following assessment, "it tastes like a light Moscado (sweet wine), I quite like it. It is very sweet... and that's why I like it... I couldn't drink more than one, but it's perfect for a small amount." I don't even know if this counts as an apple cider, I really think it's just an alco-pop that has some chemical additive that tastes like apple. On that basis, I condemn this "cider."

Rating 5.1

No comments:

Post a Comment