Monday, August 29, 2011

50! Fifty! The Fiftieth Hard Apple Cider!

Whew, half way home and it has been a battle. I'm not sure if I'll make it to 100 ciders, but it will be closer than the doubters would have believed. To commemorate number fifty, I'll switch gears and jump down to New Zealand for a few ciders.

The next three ciders were each hastily (partially) consumed at a bus stop on Karangahape Road (commonly known as K' Road) in Auckland. Normally, I am not a street drinker, but I bought these ciders during a 12 hour layover in the fine Kiwi city and I could not resist checking out the local cider scene.




'Sweet As' Cider

Kiwi (New Zealand); 9% Alcohol Content.

$2 (NZD); Super Liquor (Auckland City, New Zealand)

'Sweet As' Cider (SAC) has a very unique taste; almost like a sweet champagne. The taste is enjoyable, but unlike any cider I have ever tasted before, the high alcohol and carbonation truly make SAC an apple champagne in a can. SAC has a few aesthetic benefits as well; for starters the name is awesome and very culturally relevant; secondly, it's in a can which is always unique and a little fun; finally, SAC is super cheap! $2 in New Zealand is about $1.70 in Australia which is unheard of for a cider, unheard of for anything except an old can of Foster's.

Rating 7.9

No comments:

Post a Comment