Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cider 22



Crumpton Oaks

English; 5% Alcohol Content.

$9.95 (AUD); Botanica Liquor Barn (Innaloo, WA)

Your eyes are not deceiving you; that is a two liter plastic bottle of hard apple cider! I was dumbstruck when I came upon this modern marvel of cidery, even had I not been compiling this list of ciders, the sheer value of Crumpton Oaks would have been enough to convince me to buy a bottle (they also had a three liter bottle, but I opted for sensibility).

With that said, one of the strongest consumer messages that my father instilled in me is, "you get what you pay for." Crumpton Oaks is five dollars a liter! For five dollars you can't even get a pint of beer in Perth, so I never should have expected much at such a bargain basement price. This is the worst non- scrumpy, non- alcopop cider I have tasted... maybe it had been sitting on the shelf in the plastic container for too long? maybe it is just not a high quality product? but the cider tasted weak; not as if it had been diluted, but rather just some of the taste extracted. There was a bit of scrumpiness or perhaps it was just that hint of vinegar taste, but no matter what the source of the unpleasantness, it was there. This was a neat experiment, but definitely not one to be replicated.

Rating 5.4

No comments:

Post a Comment